Sabbatical III at the dock of Riverside Drive Marina on the Whangarei River
We reached the final destination of our year long journey yesterday, November 30th. It was an easy 3 hours of motorsailing up the Whangarei River to Riverside Marina in Whangarei, New Zealand. For all of you who have followed our blog you know all the fun details of this incredible year, but here are some barebones statistics I wanted to share with you.
- Total miles sailed: 10,500 nautical miles or 12,075 regular miles
- Total number of hours spent sailing: 1,642 (19% of the 8,760 hours in a year)
- Average speed: 6.4 knots (7.4 mph)
- Number of nights spent at sea traveling from one place to another: 60.5 (16.5% of the 365 nights)
- Number of anchorages: Over 80
- We have made friends with people on over 100 boats from numerous countries including: America, Austria, Canada, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Holland, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Norway, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and New Zealand.
See our slideshows for some new slides of Tonga and New Zealand. Remember to put the mouse curser up towards the top of each photo and you can read captions.