Departure for Urquhart’s Bay

We have been so busy getting the boat and ourselves ready to sail that there has been no time to write. We are trying to leave with tomorrow’s high tide or else we will have to stay 5 more days in Whangarei waiting for a daytime high tide. There is a terrific weather window right now that has resulted in many cruisers leaving New Zealand for places north. The Vera’s and the Risho Maru’s are both leaving for the tropics tomorrow and we think we may join. The tentative plan is to get to the mouth of the tidal river by tomorrow evening and anchor out in Urquhart’s Bay. On Thursday, we can checkout of New Zealand at Marsden’s Point, then return to Urquhart’s Bay to make final preparations, and then leave for Lautoka, Fiji either Thursday evening or Friday morning. It should be about an eight day sail. We will write tomorrow with more definite plans.

The Risho Maru’s are going directly to New Caledonia so we will not see them again until late June in Vanuatu. The Vera’s are going to Fiji and we expect to spend some time with them there. M.